His profile name had valentines in the title. It was quite appropriate that we agreed to meet at Tim Hortons for a coffee on Valentine's Day. After some innocent messages on POF, he hesitantly allowed me access to his picture- even though I told him I didn't care what he looked like. He said he appreciated honesty and kindness when I told him I am often blunt and don't spare people's feelings when the truth needs to come out. He seemed to get my humour and where I was coming from, so I was intrigued despite his lack of profile picture. His profile said Asian and nerdy, so I pictured Chinese or Korean of course- but it turns out he was from Malaysia- looked Indian to me. I asked him about his confidence in looks and to rate himself on a scale of 1-10 so I could see where he stood (and possibly why he didn't have a profile pic). I actually grilled him pretty hard before getting to that point- then I decided to stop judging his choices and came up with that question instead. Online He joked, saying he was no Channing Tatum- I laughed. To my surprise, he was nicely taller than me and very handsome in person. Deep and intense brown eyes, a nervous quiver in his lip, with the typical head cocking that shows he's nervous but trying to be confident. I walked into Tim's, looked around, smiled and went over to his table- a few minutes later than I wanted to as traffic was crappy and I decided to put some extra effort into my hair and makeup before leaving (which I wasn't originally going to do) I introduced myself, learned how to pronounce his name, and we shook hands. There was a surprising Goldilocks comfort to his handshake, soft yet firm, hands not too big, not to small. He had already gotten a coffee so I asked if he minded if I got one while he waited. I came back to sit down, asked him what his timeline looked like, as he had planned to go to Moncton with friends later that day, and we figured out he wasn't likely going because of the impending storm. That took the pressure off, but I was a tad antsy because some girl across from us looked like my friend's roomate and I didn't want to have that experience in front of her I guess, plus I didn't workout that morning. It was a Saturday, and the local indoor market was close by, so I suggested that we check it out, under the false premise that I had only been there briefly once- which was a white lie. I toured it the week before and had breakfast with my bestie;)
So we up and went. It was cold! We saw one of his friends and I said hello from a distance and waved playfully. Our conversation was free and easy. We walked around without stopping much- except to buy me a candle to replace the one I used up from my morning yoga tradition. We walked back to the Tim's, found a new table to sit at, and chatted about what we enjoy, what we do for work, our friends and past drinking habits, owning a car vs public transportation- his experience failing his driving test, adorable vulnerability btw ;) and wanting to take a vacation in February yet being financially responsible! We talked about the expenses of international students' tuition and our school experience.
I made muffins the day before and brought one for each of us- he said no- slightly insulting, but I brushed it off and revelled in the thought of having another one for breakfast the next day ...besides he had already eaten. We talked for a good 2 hrs, then we both got a bit antsy and he politely said he (or was it we?) should likely get going, and I agreed! He was reading my body language I think! What a gift!
Another goldilocks handshake, and off we went. He sent me a message shortly after saying he enjoyed meeting me- I said I enjoyed the ease of our conversation and he thought that was good enough to suggest getting together again. I said sure if I had free time- which I sort of do today, as its a snow day- but nothing is open and the roads are shit so hopefully he won't feel dissed.
Success at connecting I think! Yay!
No comments:
Post a Comment